Sunday, May 4, 2008

Active Resistance

read this:

http://www.activeresistance.co.uk/

it's vivienne westwood's manifesto re: art, culture and the human
condition as it stands today.

I get her point, art is shit at the moment. I haven't seen anything
(apart from a few friends works) that has really blown me away.

I went to Greenwood gallery the other night for the drawing machine
opening. I really, really like tristan jalleh's work, and I would say
that even if I wasn't a friend, and every time I see it it blows me
away. but there was only one or two other peoples work in that show
(and in their lot of work really only one or two pieces that I liked)
that i wanted to keep looking at - a drawing of feathers, tristan so
perfectly rendered drawings, and a 3d image. that was it. the other
stuff just seemed to be a bit too cool.... the Emperor's New Clothes.
Unemotional, detached work that seems like it comes from trying to be
cool, rather than trying to see how you see the world...

can't be inspired when you see nothing inspiring.

tristan does make me want to work harder though... looking at his
stuff gets my hand itching to move and my brain ticking... I plod
though, I've always plodded. then images come in a burst.

what are you looking at?
share with me? what are you reading? what is it about? does it make
you imagine things?

at the moment I'm seeing red hooded boys. like the boy in flatliners.
scary but scared. hiding in a garden... hiding from who though?
and multiples. like twins. twin sides, duplicitous personality traits
and both evil.

No comments: