Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Reason I Started This Blog-whatever/ Let Loose

I had a conversation via email with Audrey Kawasaki http://www.audrey-kawasaki.com
about inspiration and where to get it, how to keep it flowing and
how to keep your hand moving. I had a bit of a freak out in regards to
where I was going with my work, how I was to get it out there
(something they never really teach you at Art School), and the fear
that I wasn't producing and couldn't get motivated. She suggested
something like this... which I started.

I made it as part resource, part ramble and part showing space for new
work and new ideas. Kinda Starting a dialogue with my self and my
thoughts on images, what I liked and what I wanted to create, pieces I
found on the internet all over the place. Like an online visual diary,
that I could share and get feed back, see what other people where
thinking, what they thought, what others would suggest I look to after
they'd seen what I was already looking at....


10th Feb
I've been writing this for months now. literally. I think I started it
sometime last year, after I had quit my advertising job at the end of
july and had gone on a months sabbatical to get my head right again
(it's still not right, but yeah.... getting there someday).

I've just been reading through other photographers blogs, and I see a
problem with my own work... there isn't a theme, or a train of though,
or a way of recording anything. I have problems with the idea of a
series of work, because a series to me seems like a stagnation of some
sort, no room to move so to speak.

The other problem is that I find it hard to take myself seriously when
photographing, or making an image. I get so stubborn in my own head
about it and can't think about how I would make the work different or
better, or push it further. I can only see how I wanted it to be and
that is it. And if it doesn't work out the way I wanted, then fuck it
- I throw it out.

I think I'm too overly analytical. I analyze everything so much I
kill it.

I'm trying to let loose.

No comments: